Plumbago adds colour to my garden!
Scientific name: Plumbago auriculata
Chinese name: 蓝雪花 (lan zue hua - blue snowflakes)
Malay name: Ceraka Biru
There are about 10-20 species in the plumbago family. Some species, cultivars and varieties include Plumbago zeylanica (Derhaka Putih/Ceraka Putih/Ceraka Bukit) and Plumbago ariculata 'Escapade White' with white flowers, Plumbago indica (Ceraka Kampung/Derhaka Mertua) with red flowers. Some species have pink or purple flowers.
Anyway, it is a nice change from the usual pink, red, orange flowers that I have in my garden. It is good to be able to mix colours in nature's lanscape. Gardening can be so interesting and colourful! Just like painting a picture. But this picture changes everyday and every moment. Different flowers bloom and wither and different visitors like the birds, bees, frogs and insects come and go everyday.
- Use as a bush, border plant, ground cover or stand-alone specimen plant
- It can be grown on the ground or in a container
- Grow under the full sun in moist but well draining soil.
- Water regularly.
- Fertilize once a fortnight.
- Propagation is by cuttings and also by seeds
- Prune to maintain shape