During this year's flower show Floria 2011 at Putrajaya, I had the chance to view many different types of roses. The theme was "Roses Are Forever". For someone like me who hardly ever grow roses, it was indeed a great learning experience.
“Modern Rose - Benson and Hedges”, a copyrighted post, was written for My Nice Garden blog by Autumn Belle @ http://www.mynicegarden.com/ on Sept 25th, 2011.
To me, Benson & Hedges is a famous brand of cigarettes that won't be found at my home, a "No Smoking" zone.
Modern Roses are classified by habit:
- Bush roses have a tidy appearance and long flowering season
- Floribunda - cluster flowers
- Hybrid tea - large flowers
- Grandiflora - tall growing sturdy roses
- Patio - dwarf cluster flowers
- Polyantha - small and compact roses perfect for container culture
- Hybrid rugosa, English rose and hybrid musk rose
Tips from my readers:
Reckneck Rosarian - Roses need about an inch of water per week to thrive
Kanak and Kacky - Egg shells and tea leaves are good for roses
This is my entry for Today's Flowers # 162, my grateful thanks to TF team Santilli - Denise - Pupo - Sandy Carlson